We like to think that we know what we’re talking about when it comes to online gambling and to gambling in general here in Australia, but there’s only so much information we can include on one site. That’s why we have included this directory, which links to some of the most informative and the most useful sites (and articles) concerning online gambling in Australia.
- Australian Parliament: This is the official government site, and one that looks at the laws of offline and online gambling in greater detail. As we have discovered many times already on this site, the laws of gambling in Australia are never straightforward and constantly seem to be contradicting themselves. However, it’s worth reading the official documents and understanding just where you stand.
- Gambling Act of 2001: The Interactive Gambling Act of 2001 is what governs online gambling in Australia. This is the law that Aussie gamblers should concern themselves with, as this is the law that dictates what is legal and what is not when it comes to online gambling and to some forms of offline gambling. This page has links to the act and to all amendments, as it has changed many times since it was first established back in 2001.
- ACT Gambling and Racing Commission: This is an official body that deals with horse racing and other forms of gambling in Australia. If you want to establish a racebook or a racetrack, then this is where you need to go for permission. ACT also deal with land-based casino licenses and with other gambling licenses, and you can find all of the information about their licenses, their licensees and more on their official website.
- Problem Gambling: This is the official problem gambling organization in Australia, and one that makes for very interesting reading whether you have a gambling problem or not. As you can see from the “Facts” section, Problem Gambling Australia was developed to assist a significant percentage of the Australian gambling population, with estimations that as many as 500,000 Australians are at risk right now. This site also has a number of resources, links and guides that can help problem gamblers to overcome their addictions, and can also help those who think they are going down that path. If you’re not sure what symptoms to look out for, this site can also help with that.
- Gambling Obsession: This article is from the Sydney Morning Herald and looks at Australia’s obsession with gambling, and with pokies in particular. Aussies gamble more than citizens of any other country, and for some, that obsession is a big problem.
- Gambling in Australia: Although it doesn’t always provide the most trustworthy of information, you can’t beat Wikipedia for sheer volume and variety. Many of their articles are written by knowledgeable people, and that is certainly the case with this one. This entry looks at gambling in Australia, including the legality of online gambling and the legality and popularity of offline gambling. If you want to know where pokies are legal, where they are not and where they are at their most popular, then this is the place to do it.
- Guardian Article: Another article on the gambling obsession that is sweeping Australia, this one was written by the Guardian newspaper, a leading national newspaper in the United Kingdom. The Aussie obsession with pokies and with other forms of interactive gambling is known all over the world, and it is articles like this, which are read by an International audience, that have helped to get the word across. There are also some mind-blowing statistics included in this article, including the fact that each Australian loses over $1,000 a year gambling, an average that is significantly higher than the losses reported by every other country.
- Gambling and Lotteries: Lotteries are not quite as popular as pokies are in Australia, but millions of dollars are still pumped into them every year and they account for a large slice of the annual losses reported by the average Australian gambler. This site is the official government home of the gambling and lottery regulator in Australia, and you can find information on the regulations, the rules and the availability of lotteries and other forms of gambling on this site.
- Gambling Facts: We love a good statistic, and the popularity of gambling in Australia certainly provides plenty of these. This article looks at some of the most striking statistics concerning gambling in Australia, including the fact that more than 70% of Australians participate in some form of gambling every year, a figure that is much greater than any other country. Many of these statistics have been taken from elsewhere and they tend to get reported on many different sites and in many different reports. However, here you’ll find them all in one place.